Both wrinkles and fine lines are thought to be inevitable and, to a certain degree, they are. There is, however, a lot that can be done to delay this skin condition or prevent it from happening sooner than it should.
Firstly, let’s briefly explain what wrinkles and fine lines are and what causes them. Both of them are folds, ridges or creases in the skin. Wrinkles are deeper and can become permanent, whereas fine lines are milder and can even be called “expression lines”. The main reason for wrinkles and fine lines is ageing, but there are many other factors that negatively contribute to this condition. Here is a list of factors and how to combat them:
- Environmental factors: UVA/UVB rays, pollution, the drying effect of the wind and so on. These are factors we have no control over, therefore we need to protect our skin from them. What could this protection be? Sun cream, of course. It is believed sun cream is only needed in summer but that is not true, UVA and UVB rays are projecting on us all year long. As well as pollution and weather conditions. Face, neck and hands are the most exposed parts of our body, consequently, the most likely to get wrinkled. When looking for a sunscreen, make sure it protects from both UVA and UVB rays, and has a broad protection, ideally 50+ if you are going to be outside, or at least 30, if you are staying indoors most of the day. It is equally important to re-apply every 2-3 hours. Apart from applying sun block, you should also cleanse and exfoliate regularly to remove the dirt on your skin and enhance cell turnover.
The Skin Cancer Foundation
- Habitual bad positions: Who would have thought that by being comfortable or sleeping you could enhance wrinkles and fine lines? Not having your column straight or by looking down on your phone quite often, you could enable fine lines to appear, especially on your neck. If that was not scary enough, those fine lines could deepen and become permanent. Try to always maintain a good posture and keep your neck straight. If you already have some fine lines, it is never too late. You can always reduce the depth of them by moisturising and exfoliating regularly (yes, you should exfoliate your neck too) and massaging it afterwards. Place your hand on your collarbone and move your fingers upwards along your neck till your jaw. By repeating this movement for a few minutes every day you will be helping the skin on your neck to gain elasticity and diminish the look of fine lines.
- Repetitive skin movements: frowning, squinting, smoking or whistling can fold your skin more times than it normally would. These repetitive movements eventually prevent the skin from ‘bouncing back’ when it has been folded, and therefore, create creases. The less you use these gestures, the less likely you will be to get expression line
- Loss of body mass: this loss can squeeze skin cells and form wrinkles. The best way to fight this is by moisturising. Now, which moisturiser should you use? One that includes the ingredients that help stimulate collagen production and replenish moisture and vitamins.
- Dry skin: dry skin is naturally more susceptible to wrinkles since it has lower levels of moisture. As well as with the previous factor, the key is to moisturise and moisturise again. Ideally, day and night and paying special attention to the exposed areas such as face, neck and hands.
- Lifestyle: stress, lack of sleep, eating too much sugar. All these unhealthy habits are also affecting your skin. Dedicate some time of the day to yourself by disconnecting from devices, meditating, having a facial or just relaxing. Last but not least, drink loads of water, hydration also comes from within our bodies and helps purify.
Five Key Takeaways:
- Always wear SPF
- Moisturise, moisturise and moisturise
- Cleanse and exfoliate regularly
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Have some 'you' time
Check the products and treatments that we offer and thought would be a great match to this skin concern. Having Dermalogica facials or body treatments will make you feel relaxed and stress-free, apart from fighting ageing.
As for products, we have Dermalogica's Age Smart Product Range available in store. This range is specifically created to target signs of ageing with ingredients such as collagen, vitamin C and retinoid. Come visit our clinic to test them at 94 Broad St, Birmingham, B15 1AU or call 0121 643 4433 to find out more.
Beyond Beauty is a skin clinic offering expert advanced treatments to revitalise and rejuvenate our customers’ skin. We have been involved in the beauty and wellbeing industry for over six years. Our services are tailored to our customers’ unique needs and requirements, ensuring a service that is right for you every time. At our clinic, right in the centre of Birmingham and accessible by car and public transport, we use the latest research and technology to make sure our service is second to none. We come highly recommended, with reviews almost as glowing as our customers’ skin. Click here to see what our customers have to say. Thank you for considering Beyond Beauty. For more information, please contact one of our friendly, professional team.